- Water Treatment Systems
- Well Pumps
- Well Pressure Tanks
- Water Treatment Supplies
- Air Purification
- Contact Us
Etching and Hard Water
What is Etching?
ETCHING is the scratching or pitting of glassware. It creates a frosty and cloudy look to dishes.
What is Hard Water?
HARD WATER means you have dissolved rock in your water. That rock leaves white deposits on everything it touches.
How Do I Know If I Have Hard Water?
Soak your glass in a white vinegar solution for 15 minutes. If the white comes off, you have hard water and you need a Water Softener.
TIPS FOR HARD WATER:
- Hard water coats your dishes, skin, hair, clothes, tubs, showers, plumbing
- Have H2O install a Water Softener
TIPS FOR ETCHING:
- Soft water does NOT cause etching
- Etching with soft water may occur if you use too much detergent and the water is too hot
- Detergents with phosphate are aggressive. It’s meant to attack hard water. Without hard water, it will attack your dishes. So use very little detergent. Start with 1 Tbsp.
- Hot water is aggressive. Set your water temperature between 120-140°F
- Avoid “Extra Hot” settings
- Don’t pre-rinse your dishes. Give your detergent something to attack
- Use phosphate FREE detergent
Save money with soft water!
CALL 860-267-0110 to schedule your Water Softener install.