- Water Treatment Systems
- Well Pumps
- Well Pressure Tanks
- Water Treatment Supplies
- Air Purification
- Contact Us
The 3 Most Common Sources of Sulfur Odor in CT
1. FROM YOUR WELL
- Does it smell like sulfur in your HOT and COLD water?
- Most likely it’s sulfur bacteria that produces hydrogen sulfide gas
- It sounds bad but it’s NOT usually HARMFUL
2. FROM YOUR HOT WATER HEATER
- Does it smell in your HOT water only?
- Most likely it’s the anode rod in your hot water heater
- The anode rod can react to the water and produce a sulfur smell
- Contact a plumber. You may need to remove or replace the rod.
3. FROM YOUR SILVER FLEX-LINE TUBING
- Does it smell from only one SINK?
- Most likely it’s your “flex-line”, flexible metal tubing for your hot and cold water. It can react to your water and make it smell
- Usually only certain sinks or faucets that have the tubing will smell
- You can remove the flex-line and soak it in a chlorine solution, or replace it
Remember- these are friendly tips- please proceed at your own liability.
SOLVE YOUR HYDROGEN SULFUR ODOR WITH A CARBON SYSTEM
Frequently Asked Questions about Sulfur
What causes the odor?
- The sulfur odor is commonly caused by a sulfate reducing bacteria found naturally in well water that breaks down organic matter.
- During this process, the bacteria creates hydrogen sulfide gas.
Is Hydrogen Sulfide Gas dangerous?
- Hydrogen sulfide in your home drinking water is rarely a health hazard.
- However, hydrogen sulfide gas at high concentrations (well over 100 mg/l) can be flammable and poisonous to humans.
- The typical range of CT well waters is between 0.5 and 5.0 mg/l of H2S
Why use H2O Equipment Company to solve your sulfur odor?
Because we Excel in Smell!
And, since we specialize in residential water in Connecticut, we have literally smelled, diagnosed and treated thousands of odor problems. Our expert staff has a tremendous amount of “nose-on”-experience to solve your water problem.