MANGANESE IN CT WELL WATER
Manganese is a naturally occurring mineral found in rocks, soil, organic matter from landfills, compost, brush, etc. Manganese is leached from different sources and enters into the water.
Manganese is also a mineral necessary for a healthy human diet. But in high dosages, it can be harmful (see below for more details). Treatment is recommended at levels of .05 mg/l or higher.
Remove Manganese in your water with a ProMate 6 WATER SOFTENER
MANGANESE CAN BE HARMFUL AT HIGH LEVELS
- The CT Dept of Public Health recently set a drinking water Action Level for manganese of 0.5 mg/l. (10 times higher than the staining level.)
- High levels of manganese have been associated with toxicity to the nervous system and can produce Parkinson symptoms.
- Young children and bottle-fed children are at higher risk due to their tendency to absorb more and excrete less manganese once it’s ingested.